Saturday, November 21, 2015

Nou Gaan Ons Braai

"Nou gaan ons braai" is Afrikaans for Now we are going to BBQ/braai. This video clip cracks me up with laughter whenever I see it as it is really so true about the Afrikaans people here in South Africa. Barry Hilton is a South African stand up comedian. Referred to by his middle name, Barry (aka ‘The Cousin’). I love this video clip as I can so relate to this! This has happened to me two or three times when I have been invited by some Afrikaans friends for a braai/bbq.  In this clip he imitates the way an Afrikaans person speaks. He obviously exaggerates slightly, but it really is how they speak and it is so true about them loving their Brandy and Coke. An Afrikaans person born in South Africa is commonly known as a "Boertjie" (pronounced Boorky) and when an Afrikaans person asks you if you want a "doppetjie" - that is a drink. You just have to watch this video. It really is hilarious and it paints a very, very good picture of what to expect (in most cases, not all) when you are invited to a braai/bbq by an Afrikaans speaking South African. Man, this is why I love South Africa!! :D



No comments:

Post a Comment