Sunday, November 9, 2014

The Sounds Of Sunset


My ultimate best in summer is sitting on the patio at the end of the day listening to the sounds of sunset.  What does a sunset sound like? Does the question make any sense at all? How can a sunset “sound” like anything? How can one describe this? It all begins when the sun begins to slip from the sky and disappears, but just before sunset, there is this sudden rush of activity. The day shift starts looking for a place to spend the night whilst frantically searching out that last mouthful of food and then with the trees in silhouette, as the sun sets and darkness looms everything quietens down, the last to make a noise are the guinea fowl who wait till it is just dark and then they finally settle down, and there is a moment’s peace before the night shift takes over. There is a moment of silence, but it is also not really a silence. Something is always making a sound even if it’s a leaf rustling in the wind. Then all of a sudden you begin to hear the first sounds of the African night. The sound is a cacophony of insects and it is this that gets in your head, it’s the crickets chirping and the bull frogs croaking. The Nightjars screeching in the distance. It's difficult for me to adequately describe it because so much of it is the emotions it invokes. Words just don't do the sounds any justice. So, once again the question is “What does a sunset sound like?” What I can say is that to me a sunset sounds peaceful.







3 comments:

  1. This is great! I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I only saw your comment now. Thank you!! I am glad you enjoyed reading this.

      Delete
    2. Sorry I only saw your comment now. Thank you!! I am glad you enjoyed reading this.

      Delete